Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homemade Dulce De Leche

So, I've been meaning to post more food items and recipes that we make on my blog to keep track of them and share them. I had read about making your own dulce de leche before using your crock pot or on the stove. Chase came home from work and wanted to try it out after one of the guys at the fire station had made it. So, we decided it would be a fun and cheap family dessert. We decided to make it in the crock pot and we didn't bother looking up how to do it, we just did it and it turned out pretty tasty.

First you take a can of sweetened condensed milk and remove the wrapper. Stick it in the crock pot or sauce pan on the stove. Cover with water and cook for about 3 hrs on high in the crock pot, if you're doing it on the stove go for a lower temperature for longer. It was late when we started, so it probably would have turned out better if we had done it low and slow in the crock pot as well. We had a limited time to cook it before the kids had to go to bed. The one thing I had read about making this is some people reported that your can could possibly explode if you weren't careful, I think that was on the stove. I think you're pretty safe using the crock pot, and just to be safer, cook it on low. When you're done cooking just open your can and serve with ice cream, brownies, or fruit, etc. Oh, and maybe let the can cool a bit first before opening :) We served ours with apples and the kids loved it as you can see from the pictures below. For some reason I don't have a picture of Emery, she was probably in trouble or in the bathroom when I took the pictures. I think Chase's friend at work used his to make some type of a banana pudding. I believe there is a version of this recipe found at 365daysofcrockpot.com if you're wanting to use the crock pot and want more specific instructions than what I have provided. If you want to use the stove, I'm sure you could just google it. Try it you'll like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment