Monday, January 18, 2010

I Miss Chase and Other Random Happenings

Chase has been gone to Texas since Wednesday. He doesn't come home until this Wednesday night. It seems like he has been gone forever. Hopefully, this trip will lead to better things though. He first flew to Houston and did his interview, physical, and ploygraph test. He was really nervous though and said on his polygraph it had some "possible deceptions". He claims though that he has proof that he has never lied to me because one of the questions asked if he'd ever lied to a loved one and he passed- kind of weird question for a job interview. Anyway, not that I've ever had reason to doubt him, but I guess he will always have that to fall back on. He was passed on all of his tests and now we wait I guess.

Sunday he drove to San Antonio and will start his test their tomorrow. Wednesday Chase is going to check out this place we saw on the Food Network and bring home a giant cinnamon roll for me and the kids. The kids have been talking about it, and I have to admit I have held it over their heads if they don't behave... "Mom and Dad are going to eat the cinnamon roll all by ourselves if you don't knock it off and be good!" Anyway, it's supposed to be about as big as your head, it's huge and looks yummy, I hope it travels well.

The kids have been good for the most part, especially considering it has been a long vacation weekend. Cam had Thurs., Fri., Mon. off and the girls had Fri., and Mon. off. So, I let them have sleepovers in the basement on the mattress and have movie parties, etc. Anyway, we are all excited to have Chase back home soon. Emery asked were Dad was today and I told her he was in Texas. She said, "Teckas?". I said, "Yep, Texas." Then Emery replied, "No, not Teckas!" So, I don't know what that is supposed to mean, apparently she disapproves of him being in Texas. I'm not looking forward to the possible snow storm that may be happening when we are supposed to be picking up Chase from the airport, however. We are just hoping things happen quickly and smoothly and that Chase will have a job soon!

Other news, I killed a duck the other night coming home from work. I am officially a bird murderer now. I also killed a huge pheasant while driving students to jobs years ago when I was working for PHS. I guess my driving from work coincides with me hitting and killing birds. I guess I should be lucky it wasn't anything bigger like a coyote or deer. It was 3:15 am and I was driving down the farm road away from work when I saw something in the road which appeard to be a rock, or clump of dirt or something. Right at the last second I saw a head turn to the side and realized it wasn't a rock. It was too late to do anything, but try to center it under my van in hopes that the tires would miss it. Well, I think it must have got up or tried to fly away and I heard and felt sickening thuds underneath the van. It was really loud and prolonged and I knew it was a goner.

I pulled over up ahead and my friend from work pulled up beside me. I asked if she'd seen it and she said yes and that it was a duck. We both couldn't figure out what the heck a duck was doing curled up in the middle of the road at night in the middle of winter. I thought I had hit a chicken, I guess it was a Mallard. I thought about going back to see, I felt bad just driving off, but short of backing over it again to finish the job so it wouldn't suffer, I couldn't do anything. I need to mention here when I hit the pheasant I had students with me and couldn't do anything either, but fortunately a guy in a truck driving by stopped. He got out, picked up the pheasant, threw it in the back of his truck and drove off... only in Payson. Anyway, so I drove home knowing now that I am a bird murderer.

I was also worried about damage to the car, it sounded really bad. I tried to look under the car, as best as a 7 1/2 month pregnant woman can, to see if there was damage. I couldn't see anything and I've driven it around a little and it appears to be ok, I guess the test will be when I drive to Salt Lake to pick up Chase. Well, I'm sorry for those of you who I've bored to tears with my tales. I know this is a sorry excuse for a post, but oh well, please don't hold it against me and please don't hold it against me that I'm a bird murderer.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I feel your pain. I nicked a dog on the way to school after seminary one morning - it ran away so I don't think I killed it, but it killed me with guilt. Then Jake toasted a gorgeous red fox that decided to play chicken with us at the last second while we were on our way to church in England. I cried. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you killed a fox, so sad!

    ReplyDelete