Monday, July 27, 2009

Jobs and Venting

Chase decided last minute to drive to Las Vegas early this morning and take the Air Marshal test. He was planning on taking it when we went to CA next month along with all of his other testing for the CHP, but was notified by the air marshal people that he needed to finish his application process before the 30th. We debated whether to pursue it or not, but Chase decided what the heck and drove there today and took the test. He's driving on his way back home right now.

Next month we plan to visit Grandma and Grandpa Fox while Chase does more testing, so we'll update you on anything on that front. Currently, Chase has everything checked off for his Border Patrol application except the background check, but it is underway, so we hope to hear back from that soon. I have applied at 3 different school districts for various positions and hopefully maybe one of those will work out. I might try to get on as a sub again though, so I will have the flexibility of turning down jobs that interfere with Chase's ability to job hunt and interview. We don't want to leave my parents stuck watching the kids if Chase has to leave and I'm working. Also, Chase might potentially have a part time job as a postal carrier which we are crossing our fingers for.

I think that's all on our job updates for any of you who are curious or for any of you who think we are complete slackers, moochers, losers, whatever you like to call us. It has come to my attention as of late that some people think we are living it up here in the lap of luxury in my parents' basement and I guess partying it up on vacation or something.

First of all, my parents did us a favor by letting us use their time share in Mesquite so we wouldn't have to drive all the way to get Bailey. Second, we only went to the Park City time share because nobody else could go or would take it. For your information we also offered to pay and at one point gave my parents $60., but they gave it back to us. We would have much rather enjoyed these trips under different circumstances.

I'm sorry if we are offending anyone by not being miserable enough for you or suffering enough for you. I will explain again that we do NOT enjoy being unemployed and are trying very hard to get a job. We were forced to sell our home at a loss and had to borrow money to make up the loan difference (that was way fun!). We were forced to move into my parents' house and take our kids away from their friends as well as leaving our own friends and a great neighborhood, ward, and school. We are greatly humbled to be in the situation that we are in and will be forever grateful to everyone who has helped us out and continues to help us out. We truly hope to be able to repay everyone some day for their kindness and if not directly, we hope to pay it forward.

We were as prepared for this situation as we possibly could have been. Thankfully, we had a huge food storage supply that we continue to use and can pull from more in the future. Chase helps out around the house with fix-it jobs and mows the lawn. I have been cooking meals and doing some cleaning (whatever cleaning my mom lets me do). We watch and take care of our own children and that should have no impact on anyone else if they need my parents to babysit for them. We aren't the losers that you may think we are and I don't expect my parents to be live-in nannies. We pay for groceries and try to contribute where we can.

If I have learned anything from this experience it is not to judge others. I have no idea what kind of circumstances other people may find themselves in difficult situations, but I will certainly be more careful before I pass any judgement on someone else ever again. As for some of you out there, may you never end up in a situation where your spouse or yourself loses their job. Any one of you at any moment could find yourselves in this exact situation or worse.

If I have ever cast unrightous judgment on any of you or made any of you feel bad, I am sincerely sorry. I know how it feels to have hurtful things said and people looking down their noses at you like they are so much better than you. It feels awful to be made to feel this way and I pray that I never said or did anything as hurtful to anyone out there. If I have I offer my deepest apologies and hope you can forgive me. For some of you who have been hurtful towards my family I am searching for forgiveness myself, because I know none of us are perfect, but it may take a while. I will keep trying. I stress again that I just hope none of you ever find yourselves in a similar situation, especially with children involved. It has been the worst thing watching my kids go through this difficult transition in their lives, by no fault of their own. If you do by some misfortune have to go through a similar experience, then maybe you will finally understand what we are going through. If you are fortunate to not have to go through something like this in this crappy economy then you do not have any right to judge us, talk down to us, or think less of us!

2 comments:

  1. We're looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

    If people are saying or even thinking things like that about you guys, they aren't friends. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dare you have a good time while your husband is looking for a job? I would think any time your kids had a chance for some fun or your family had the opportunity to do something enjoyable you should have said, "NO, dagnabbit. We have to look miserable!"

    You should all be wearing sack clothe and ashes. When you come here I'll give you some of that non-water-proof mascara, so you can look like you're perpetually crying.

    ReplyDelete