Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Job Hunt Continues

I drove Chase to the airport this morning. Well, he drove there because I wasn't quite awake yet, but I drove the car back home. We left the kids asleep at home with my parents. He's in Oklahoma to test for a firefighter position. Then after he's done testing there tomorrow he will fly from Oklahoma to Texas to test for another firefighter position in Houston and then fly back home. So, pray for us and wish us luck. We're still waiting for background checks for the border patrol and air marshal as well. Chase will also test for the highway patrol in OR this September. You gotta think that one of these will happen for us, all we need is one!

In the meantime I'm going to apply for a job that my friend told me about that sounds like it would be good. I'll tell you how that works out. It's so weird applying for jobs after not working for so long. I subbed briefly as a special ed tech in OR, but that even seems ages ago and that wasn't very long before we moved back to UT. Trying to write a resume was really challenging for me. When I got to the "skills" portion of my resume I kind of just froze. Is changing a diaper under 5 seconds flat considered a skill? Well, I actually haven't timed myself, but I know it's pretty darn fast. What if I added that the diaper changee is a squarming toddler who doesn't want her diaper changed? How about baking delicous goodies and dinners that even the pickiest of eaters will try, well at least sometimes? Breaking up fights over who has the most pieces of watermelon? Or, my multiple uses of tinfoil to reduce my need of dish washing? Maybe I could include my persuasive(nagging) skills that get my kids to finally remember to change their underwear and socks?

I just hope they don't want a lot of names and phone numbers of past employers because I have forgotten a lot of them and/or they have changed and I know of one manager who has since passed away. One of my places of employment also doesn't exist anymore, it's a different bank there now. Many of the people and teachers I worked with also aren't around anymore and I don't know where to find them if they wanted references. Well, I guess it's worth a shot. The worst they can tell me is no thank you, we have enough diaper changers on our staff already.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck to both of you (all six of you.) And if you DO claim to be able to change a wriggly child in under five seconds, don't be surprised if they bring in some free lance baby to make you prove it.

    Yes, we want to hire you. Just let us verify your resume.

    Change that diaper. Nag that child. "GO!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding, Jenn! I was looking at a website for the school I used to teach at in Provo way back in "'ot one and 'ot two" and found that the principal was different and only one or two teachers from the entire staff were still there! I don't know what I'll do when it comes to that either. :S We'll be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same job application experience recently! It was so unsettling because I felt qualified, but was completely overwhelmed by the application process. I eventually ended up using more recent church volunteer experience because at least then I had names and numbers for references, plus the experience was applicable. I hope something works out for you soon!

    ReplyDelete