Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Free PCC Concert (5-27-2010)

Many of you know my love of the PCC (Polynesian Cultural Center) and Polynesian people and culture in general. I visited the South Pacific in high school and attended B.Y.U.-Hawaii. The PCC is basically connected to B.Y.U.-HI and is where a lot of the students work. I had friends that worked there and I loved visiting there and watching the awesome performances, dances, and learning about the cultures. I wanted so badly to be a drummer for the night show at the PCC, which you can see the drummers behind the performers in the pictures and videos below. Sadly, they didn't want to hire a white girl from UT with know percussion experience, I can't imagine why.

Well, I read in the paper that the PCC was pramoting a new night show performance called "Ha, The Breath of Life" and would be putting on a free performance in West Valley. So, Chase being the good sport that he was went with me to see it. We dropped the kids off with Rachel (cousin), except Joelle who came with us. A huge thank you to Rachel for watching our crazy kids! Our kids absolutely love Rachel, they always have a blast at her house. Emery was even singing about Rachel in the car ride home.

We arrived fairly early, since I knew there would be a large crowd for a free PCC concert. We waited in line to get in, but the line moved fairly quickly. There were so many people they ended up turning people away. There were only a few seats to be had so we ended up on a spot on the grassy hill. Except for my allergies, back hurting a little, and behind falling asleep it was alright. It took forever for the actual PCC performance to start, but when it did it was very good. The 2 opening acts were horrible! They were local area high school students. One group was a bunch of boys dressed in drag performing as a drill team to some music. The second group were some kids singing to songs from Greese (can't spell it, don't care, I HATE Greese, the musical that is!) . The girl had an ok voice, but the boy was awful and the songs were horrible. I cringed through those first performances.

Two of the videos I have posted are a Tahitian dance (where they wiggle the hips fast), and the other is my absolute all time favorite the Samoan Fire Knife dance. The guy ends up dropping it a few times, but overall it was very impressive. I was dissappointed that they didn't have the Samoan Slap dance or the Maori Haka (sp ?), but it was a fun night out and Joelle behaved very well. Thank you Chase for doing something I know you didn't want to do, I had fun with you!
Samoan Fire Knife Dance
Fire Knife Dancer lighting the other end of his torch with his bare hand.

Fire Knife Dancers

Chase feeding Joelle before the performance started. Doesn't he look very excited to be there?

Me and sleepy Joelle.
Joelle with Mommy during the PCC night show.




2 comments:

  1. How fun! I have always wanted to see them perform (and go to Hawaii for that matter). So glad you were able to get in and enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see someone else catching up on their posts ;) Isn't it fun to get out once in awhile with the hubby? Glad you got to see such a fun concert.

    And, yes, that was Cameron Jones. Hard to believe isn't it? We miss you and your sweet family too and hope you are all happy and well. From the looks of it, you are! Love to keep in touch through your blog. The kids are growing so much...is Emery really that big already? Wasn't she the baby? So fun to see. So darling, all of you!

    ReplyDelete