Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bailey's Pioneer Day Dance

The 4th grade had a special pioneer day where they dressed up and participated in several pioneer activities throughout the day including a dance they had been practicing for. I had worked the night before so I told Chase to have the kids wear their boots if it snowed, because I had heard it was supposed to snow. When I woke up later the next day it hadn't snowed, but Chase had the kids wear their boots because that's what I had said, and I guess he didn't remember me saying only if it snowed. I remembered Bailey had her dance that day and I couldn't imagine her performing her dance in her boots. I left a little early with her shoes and caught her lined up in the hallway ready to go in and perform, but she didn't want her shoes and was determined to keep her boots on. I went in and found a seat right by her group and watched her and the other kids perform their pioneer dances. One of the dances was the Virginia Reel, and I'm not sure what the other one was called.

When she first found out she had to dance with a boy she was upset, but soon realized it wasn't that bad and had a fun time. She was supposed to dress up in pioneer garb and found an old foofy dress of mine and decided to wear it. When I came to watch her dance I realized that a button was missing in the back and her dress would occasionally pop open and it had a big rip in the sleeve. I'm sure people were wondering who the mother of this girl in boots and hobo garb was. I think it's funny that she thought my childhood dress would make for a great pioneer outfit, I guess that makes me really old.

Bailey performed really well and had a lot of fun. I recorded her dances and will try to include at least one of them, but just a warning, they are pretty long. I don't know how to edit the video and I'm at work right now, or I'd have Chase do it for me. Anyway, when the kids got done dancing I got a surprise. They wanted all the parents to come up and dance with their student. So, here I was 8 months pregnant dancing with my daughter in a cafeteria full of onlookers. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but it was fun. I kept bumping into people, because it was crowded and I'm big. It was fun, even though I'd rather Chase had been the one there dancing. Anyway, enjoy the dancing sensations of Bailey in true pioneer form.


No comments:

Post a Comment