Friday, November 20, 2009

Cam's Wrestling Meet

Cam starting out in one of the rounds.
I've put a video up at the end of the post that Chase took at Cam's first meet. It's kind of long, even I didn't finish watching it, but you get the idea of what he does. He also didn't seem to be laughing and giggling like he was doing in the meet I went to. It's really cute though, because you can hear the girls (even Emery) cheering Cam on as he wrestles.


This picture makes me laugh. Cam really wasn't being mean like he looks in this picture. That's just the face he'd make sometimes when he'd start. The boy looks terrified, especially since I couldn't fix the lack of eye pigment, my camera stinks, especially in low light. The kid was mostly upset that he couldn't get out of some of the holds. It's probably too young of an age to have them wrestle and declare a "winner" and "loser", some of the kids got really upset.


Cam laughing and having fun during his match. I know this isn't the best picture. I have a crappy camera, and they'd move too fast before my camera would go off, so you get blurry cut off heads.

Cam won both of his matches today at his wrestling meet! Chase took him to his last meet which was the first one for the season and he lost both of the matches, one which was narrowly lost. Tonight I took Cam to his second meet and he won both matches, yeah! The mom of one of the boys Cam wrestled came up to me and was telling me how much she liked watching Cam wrestle. He kept giggling and laughing, and was really fun to watch.

Also, I was really proud of Cam for his excellent sportsmanship at only 5 yrs. old. The first boy who lost became upset and was really sad, so Cam tried to make him feel better. He told the boy that he did a really good job, that he almost beat him, and that he was a good wrestler. That was my favorite part of the whole night that he wasn't just happy about winning, but that he cared enough about the other boy's feelings.

Cam kind of takes after his dad as a kid and is tall and skinny, so we were wondering about him wrestling. When they match his weight up right, he usually does well, if he gets paired up with someone like "the thug" as Chase has affectionately named another boy who wrestles with Cam, he doesn't fare as well. Cam has been catching on and doing well and after tonight I thought he'd change his mind about quiting, but he still says he wants to quit and become an Irish step dancer with the girls. I asked him why, and he said it's just too long and a lot of hard work. I told him, that dancing took work, too. I think the wrestling has been a little too much for him because the coach is a little overkill with it. The coach is also the coach for the Junior High and High school and is trying to train up little wrestling prodigies I think. We have 3 practices a week for 1 hr. 15 min. Cam gets a little burned out from it I think. We'll see I guess, whatever makes him happy.

3 comments: