Thursday, November 3, 2011

Church Chili Contest

Bailey showing all that was left of her chili. After the judging, everyone gets to eat the chili.

Our church had a chili contest back at the beginning of Sept. As soon as Bailey found out about it she begged and begged me to let her enter. I tried to explain to her that she would be up against many Texans who had a lot more experience making chili than her. She didn't care, she fancies herself a chef among many other things... an artist, a writer, etc. Anyway, I finally relented and told her she'd have to start the chili as soon as she got home from school in order to have it at the church in time to be judged.

First off I need to clarify that Bailey has never made chili before, she has cooked very little actually. Bailey cooked everything, I helped drain the fat off the beef and maybe chopped some stuff, but this was Bailey's baby. She told me what she wanted to put in and I would give some suggestions as to not put in too much or too little of a certain spice, but that was all. We took the chili to the church and I was not expecting anything.

It was a blind judging, so no one knew who made which chili. The winners were announced, and the top 3 won a prize package. Bailey kept bugging me to find out how she placed because she was afraid to ask for herself, but I was busy with some behavioral issues of another child at that moment. So, she got her little brother to go up and ask. Surprise, surprise...Bailey placed 5th out of 15 entries! I was completely shocked! So, I guess next year she's gotta up the anty and try again. I was very proud of her and also learned a lesson that day to not discount anything and always let my kids try even if the odds are against them.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Bailey! That's really impressive that she did so well.

    ReplyDelete