Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sticky Buns


I first tasted these after I had my 4th baby back in UT 4 years ago. Our home teacher Porter Rockwell (yes, named after his ancestor, the original, famous Porter Rockwell) brought us dinner that his wife had made for us. I'm trying to remember her name and I think it was Julie. Sorry, "Julie" if I'm wrong. They had 2 kids and were a sweet family, but ended up moving before we did, so we didn't get to know them for long. I remember the meal Julie made for us was delicious, but the main thing I remember was the dessert. I had to get the recipe from her. It is very simple and easy to make. I had a ton of leftover dough the other day from making Mummy Dogs(basically hot dogs wrapped in pieces of dough and baked), so I ended up making 2 batches of these yummy Sticky Buns. I don't use biscuit dough from the store that it says in the recipe, but I make my own from the Lion House Roll recipe that my mother in law uses and I just break it into little dough disks like the store kind does. I will include that recipe as well. Now, the picture I took doesn't do these babies justice, trust me you will love them if you give them a try :)

Sticky Buns

2-3 cans homestyle buttermilk biscuits (separate pieces of dough and place in a circle inside a bundt pan) *I also recommend using 3 cans, it makes a lot of sauce.

1 cup Sugar
1 cube butter
1 orange juiced or 1/3 cup orange juice

Boil sugar, butter, and juice on stove until foamy and bubbly for 1 minute and pour over rolls in pan.

Bake @ 350 for 15-20 minutes
Can dump out on a baking sheet to cool, but I prefer to let mine cool inside the pan as to not lose any of the gooey sauce.

Lion House Dinner Roll (recipe as done by my mother in law)

In bottom of a mixer(or bowl if done by hand) pour in 1/3 cup white sugar, 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt(or 2 1/2 tsp. regular table salt), 2/3 cup powdered milk, 4 cups bread flour(or regular flour if you want). Mix ingredients with dough hook attachment for your mixer, or I prefer to mix it with a whisk.

Get your tap water as hot as possible and add 2 cups hot water. Start mixer or stir until most dry ingredients are beginning to incorporate and looks like paste.

Dump in 1/3 cup butter (cut into smaller pieces so the hot water will melt it, I sometimes will soften my butter a bit in the microwave depending on how hard the butter is if I pulled it out of the freezer or not.)

Add 1 egg

Mix until dough forms, then add 2 Tbsp. of yeast.

After all combined, add more flour a little at a time, 1-2 more cups equaling a total of 5-6 cups total flour for the recipe including the 4 cups you started with. Dough should start to form a ball and pull away from the edge of the bowl. Since it's really humid here some days I will have to add more flour. Mix dough for about 10-15 min.

You can use this dough for just about anything. I prefer to use it for Mummy Dogs, Sticky Buns, and Monkey Bread. You could just make rolls with it if you wanted to or for pizza dough, but I have other recipes I prefer to use for that. If you'd like baking directions or recipes for other things for this dough, just let me know and I'll post them up later.

Now this Lion House Roll recipe will make about 2 good sized pizzas on 2 baking sheets if you decide to use the dough that way, to give you an idea of how much it makes. When I made it for Mummy Dogs, I actually made the full recipe plus halved it because my kids have been eating more. I used enough dough to wrap 3 pkgs of hot dogs and then had enough dough left over to make 2 bundt pans of Sticky Buns. In the past, when my kids ate less, I would split the dough about in half and wrap 2 pkgs of hot dogs and make 1 batch of Sticky Buns. Happy Baking Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment