Thursday, September 16, 2010

Battle of the Bulge

Well, it's not a secret that I've gained a 'few' pounds since having children. In my case since I get gestational diabetes, I get to gain a lot more than normal women do. I've tried to maintain a proper diet and exercise since discovering my diagnosis. In fact I did really well with my third, but after my third, it's like my body rebelled and refused to lose the weight. After my 4th, I lost 20 lbs. right away, but then that was it and surprise baby number 5 joined us. So, I now have quite a few pounds to lose. I started to slowly get back into the swing of things by walking with Chase around our neighborhood after Joelle was born. Then I began walking more when we went to CA for the summer. That was frustrating, because I weighed myself after coming back and had gained 3 pounds even though I was eating better and exercising more. Then mysteriously, I weighed myself again after getting back and I had lost 5 pounds, don't know why. Could it have been the 4 days of eating coconut oil, hemp seed, and cream of wheat, less stress, who knows? While I waited to find my jogging stroller, I tried to run on my mom's treadmill (actually walk/jog) when kids would nap, if they napped.

Anyway, so I was able to buy an awesome double jogging stroller on KSL from a couple that was moving in Orem. I got them to take $125. for it. It is fabulous! It's tandem so, I can actually fit on a side walk or even in a store if I choose to, has a ton of storage space with pockets, adjustable canopies, 5 point harnesses for the kiddos, raised hand bar so I don't have to bend over to push it, bug net, weather canopy, a foot break, and a wrist leash, it's just really awesome! So, I am now on day 4 of walking in the morning with the 2 youngest. Sure it's a little more of a challenge than if I were to walk by myself, but man that stroller is amazing, except for really tight turns you wouldn't know I was pushing 60 plus pounds around. I am gradually working my way up to actually being able to jog pushing my 2 little fatties. The last 2 days I've been able to walk 2 2/3 miles which took me 55 min. yesterday and 50 min. today. I weighed myself today and I lost another 2 pounds-yeah! Next week I am going to take an evening Zumba class and hopefully an evening spinning class. I want to kick my metabolism into gear and then hopefully, I will start to see more results. Periodically, I will be posting my progress. I decided I needed to be accountable to someone, that would possibly be embarrassing if I failed miserably or just gave up. Rather than post it on facebook, I decided to keep it a little bit more intimate. Anywho, wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck!

    Don't get frustrated if it's slow at first. Even if it's not lost weight right away, all that work is doing something good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - way to go! I have always wanted to try Zumba - it sounds so fun! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!! I feel like my #4 put way too many pound on me that I can't get off, so I totally understand where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete