Monday, August 10, 2009

Pioneer Day

Bailey with a comb stuck in her hair while the girl puts in her bling string. Addie, also getting a bling string.

Bailey's blue bling string. You have to look closely, but it's there. It's a shiny blue string.


Addie, Bailey, & Amelia getting ready to ride the Tornado.

Cam waving on the boat ride.

Grandma Beebe and Cam on the Tilt-a-Whirl.

Addie, Amelia, & Bailey on the Tilt-a-Whirl.

Amelia and Cam on the Scrambler.

Bailey & Addie on the Scrambler.


Many of you are aware of Pioneer Day which is celebrated on July 24th in UT. In Spanish Fork, they also celebrate their city's festivities known as Fiesta Days at the same time. Our primary was supposed to walk in the parade and pull a float or something and as primary teachers I guess they wanted us to go and participate in the children's parade also, but we had no desire to do so. I also wasn't about to entrust my kids with a bunch of frazzled primary workers in a huge chaotic crowed walking down center street by themselves. They already lost Emery in the nursery, among other problems, so that wasn't going to happen. We also had already seen the parade in Provo, so we didn't bother trying to see the regular parade in Spanish Fork either.

We ended up having Bailey's friend Amelia from Lehi come over and we went down town to the carnival. My mom had purchased carnival tickets. We had to park about 2 blocks away and walked into where the carnival and booths were all set up. We went around 4:00 in the afternoon so as to beat the evening crowd and it was extremely hot. It wasn't crowded at all, but it was miserably hot. The kids went on a few rides... The Scrambler, Tornado, and Tilt-a-Whirl. Cam opted out of the Tornado ride and went on a boat ride instead. I personally haven't been able to go on spinning rides in ages. I used to love them as a kid, and even remember spinning around on the floor on my hands and knees just to create a dizzy, spinning sensation. I'm sure if I did it today I'd be bent over the nearest toilet throwing up. I think I first realized I couldn't do rides like that anymore when years ago I took the kids on a merry-go-round and got sick. I also can't swing very long or I get sick. I was shocked that my mom got on the Tilt-a-Whirl with Cam. I remember as a kid my mom always rode with us as it was her favorite ride, I guess it still is. I just can't believe she doesn't get sick.



Despite the hot weather we had a pretty good time. After the rides we checked out some booths. The girls were able to get "bling strings" put in their hair by some hair salon students. Basically all it was, was a glittery, thin, plastic, string that they tied to a piece of their hair at the top of their heads. Then the kids got to try out some wooden stilts again. Lastly, we crossed the street to the food vendors and got the kids some snow cones. I hate going to those places because they have all this yummy food that smells awesome and it costs a fortune.

We drove home and Bailey and Amelia were in charge of making dinner. Bailey picked out the menu from her new cookbook that she got from Grandma and Grandpa Fox for her birthday. They made tuna, crescant rolls and chocolate, caramel dipped strawberries. It turned out very yummy. I also made my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that Brie(Chase's sister) gave me. I know, I know, many of you have asked me for my cookie recipe. I am going to try and post it soon on my blog, so everyone can get it if they want. We had some yummy food and a pretty fun 24th of July. It was really great that Bailey got to see Amelia again as well.



Also, a shout out to my friend Cortney Jackson. Happy Birthday! I can never celebrate the 24th of July without thinking of Cortney. I remember she hated celebrating her birthday in UT, because everyone would be celebrating Pioneer Day. So, hope you had a good one this year!

1 comment:

  1. That is so impressive that the girls would go make a full on dinner WITH dessert! Wow! So much for the parade spirit - but I understand completely where you're coming from. Sounds like the carnival was a lot of fun, though. :)

    ReplyDelete